SEW YOUR OWN SIXTIES SHIFT DRESS!
Make a dress with help from this easy-to-follow sewing pattern. Françoise is a chic and easy-to-wear mini dress, inspired by sixties fashion yet always in style. The design features striking French darts and raglan seams. Choose from two-piece three-quarter length sleeves or a sleeveless version, with optional collar and waist tab.
With its simple flat sleeve construction method and jargon-busting instructions, this pattern makes a great first dress project for beginner sewists. More experienced stitchers can add the optional collar and play around with design variations - how about adding piping to the raglan seam lines?
"I love Tilly! Patterns are so easy to sew and easy to wear! I suspect my entire wardrobe will end up being Tilly and the Buttons made." - Theresa
"What I love about Tilly’s designs is they’re so versatile and anyone can wear them from young girls to MAMs (Middle Aged Mums), like me!" - a happy customer
SKILL LEVEL - Confident beginners
BONUS TUTORIALS - Follow the detailed Francoise sewalong on the blog for extra guidance.
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS - Medium weight cotton, sateen or light twill, preferably with a bit of stretch; double crepe; linen; double knit. The sleeveless version would also be great in gabardine, quilting weight cotton, light wool or brocade.
- Fabric - 1.8m x 150cm wide (2 yards x 60in) OR 2.4m x 115cm wide (2 5/8 yards x 45in) (less for sleeveless version)
- Matching thread
- 56cm / 22in invisible zip
- Iron-on interfacing (about 30cm / 12in, similar weight to your fabric)
- Optional: 2 x 2.5cm / 1in buttons for the tab
- Optional: 1.2m x 35mm bias binding for sleeveless version (or you can make your own)
- Sewing machine and basic tools, incl invisible zip foot