Tilly and the Buttons - Coco Top and Dress
LEARN TO SEW WITH KNIT FABRIC!
Make your own Coco, the perfect Breton top or knit dress with multiple variations. Simple to sew, Coco is easy fitting, with no zips, buttons or other fiddly bits. The perfect introduction to sewing knit fabrics on a regular sewing machine, the user-friendly instructions guide you through with a jargon buster, clearly labelled pattern pieces, and photos of each step.
A year-round staple that's so easy to wear, Coco makes a great spring marinière top, summer tunic, autumn funnel neck or cosy winter dress. Designed for low-stretch knit fabrics, the classic style features a boat neckline, choice of top or dress lengths, three quarter length or long sleeves, with side splits at the hips on the top version. Make it your own with optional sixties funnel roll neck, rolled cuffs and patch pockets.
"The Coco dress/top from Tilly and the Buttons is THE pattern to own right now." - Sew magazine
"I completed my first Coco dress in what seemed like 12 seconds. Where has this pattern been all my life?! Such a joy to sew." - Charlie
SKILL LEVEL - Confident beginners
BONUS TUTORIALS - Follow the detailed Coco sewalong on the blog for extra guidance and design variations. For help sewing knit fabrics on a regular sewing machine, sign up to our online workshop, Learn to Sew Jersey Tops.
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS - Medium weight knit fabric with very little stretch. Look out for interlock knit, double knit, ponte di roma, or feel the fabric to check it’s not too fine or stretchy.
- Dress with funnel neck + cuffs - 2.3m x 150cm wide (2 1/2 yards x 60in) OR 3m x 115cm wide (3 1/4 yards x 45in)
- Plain dress - 2m (2¼ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 2.7m (3 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide
- Top with funnel neck + cuffs – 1.8m (2 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 2.7m (3 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide
- Plain top – 1.5m (1¾ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 2.2m (2½ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide
- Matching thread
- Ribbon or stay tape - 30cm (12in) x 6-8mm (1/4in) wide
- Stretch or ballpoint needle for your sewing machine
- Sewing machine and basic tools (a rotary cutter and mat are useful)